Richmond Personal Injury Lawyer
Even though we try to stay safe and healthy, all types of injuries happen every day. Any scenario can quickly change from safe to potentially causing an injury when a person acts negligently. Our Richmond, KY personal injury lawyer from the Law Office of Todd W. Burris can help you hold the person who injured you responsible for their negligence.
While filing a legal claim against someone could seem like an intimidating venture, it’s important to hold them liable for their actions. When you decide file a personal injury claim against the person who caused you injury and damages, you can get compensation for your damages, and help ensure that the responsible party never hurts another person.
It’s likely you’ve dealt with a lot of suffering after the injury, whether that’s physical, emotional, or financial suffering. A personal injury attorney from the our office in Richmond, KY, will be able to defend your rights and help you financially recover from your injuries so you can focus on physically and emotionally recovering.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
You might be wondering if the cause of your injury is a case we handle. At the Law Office of Todd W. Burris, we understand that any situation can turn dangerous and lead to an injury. We cover a variety of personal injury claims so you can be represented in your time of need. Here are the cases we cover:
- Car Accidents. In 2018, there were over 20,000 traffic accidents that caused injury in Kentucky. Car crashes can lead to more minor injuries, like whiplash, or it could cause more serious injuries, like traumatic brain injuries. Some negligent actions that can cause car wrecks are distracted driving, driving under the influence, speeding, aggressive driving, and fatigued driving.
- Truck Accidents. Large trucks are up to 30 times bigger than regular sized vehicles, which is why truck accidents can lead to debilitating injuries for all passengers involved. When you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you could be facing permanent injuries that change the rest of your life, and a lawyer can help you navigate a legal claim against the party at fault.
- Medical Malpractice. When a doctor makes a mistake with your care and ends up further injuring you, then you could have a medical malpractice claim. By looking into your treatment through doctor’s notes, medical bills, and your statements, our attorneys will fight to prove that the doctor’s negligence directly led to your injury.
- Nursing Home Abuse. Nursing home residents deserve to receive the best care possible, and when you decide to take your loved one to a nursing home, you expect them to get that level of care. Sometimes understaffing and overworking leads to negligence of nursing home staff, and other times staff is negligent with malicious intent. When you decide to file a nursing home abuse claim, our lawyers will fully investigate what happened and get you and your loved one the justice they deserve.
- Wrongful Death. Any of the scenarios above can lead to the death of a loved one. When someone else’s negligence caused your loved one’s death, you could have a wrongful death claim against the person or company responsible for their passing.
If you don’t see your situation in the list above, don’t worry, we still might be able to help you. You can discuss your situation with our Richmond, KY personal injury lawyer, and we’ll answer any questions you have.
How One of Our Lawyers Can Fight for You
Now that you understand what types of cases we handle, you might be wondering exactly what we can do for you. The main job that your personal injury attorney will have is to protect your rights. When you decide to file a claim to recover financial compensation, the other party or insurance company will likely push you to settle for less than you deserve.
With an attorney on your side to protect your rights and defend your best interests, they’ll guide you as to whether or not the amount they’re offering is suitable. If not, they will instruct you not to settle. They will ensure that you get what you’re owed and don’t settle for less. They’re even prepared to go to court with you if you can’t reach a fair settlement.
Another way that one of our attorneys will fight for you is by proving that the other party was at fault for the accident you were involved in. Even though Kentucky is a no-fault state, people involved in accidents can choose to opt-out of this system and rely on insurance and legal claims to determine who was at fault for the injuries you suffered.
In order to prove fault, your personal injury lawyer will need to prove these aspects for your case:
- The other party owed you a duty of care.
- They breached that duty of care.
- That breach resulted in you being injured.
- Your injuries resulted in damages that you suffered.
On top of determining fault, representation from an attorney will ensure that your compensation amount is correctly calculated. Your lawyer will look into all of your documents, reports, bills, and experiences to determine exactly what you’re owed in financial recovery. Once that is determined, your lawyer won’t allow you to be bullied into settling for less than you deserve.
Now that you know what our Richmond, KY personal injury attorney can do for you, let’s take a look at the steps involved in a personal injury claim so that you can better understand what you’re taking on when you decide to take legal action.
Steps in a Personal Injury Claim
With a personal injury lawyer on your side, you won’t have to worry about the legal side of things in your claim, but it’s still important to know and understand the steps that go into your claim. That way, you can feel involved in what’s happening and have peace of mind knowing that your attorney is being honest with you and supporting you.
Here are the usual steps involved in a personal injury claim:
- Consulting an Attorney. Of course, your first step is getting a lawyer on your side so that they can help you navigate every step of this process. They won’t let you go through this alone or be taken advantage of. When you meet with them, you’ll need to bring all of the documentation and information you have so that they can get a full and accurate scope of what your case might entail. That way, they know how to best represent you and if you need their help.
- Demands. After meeting with your lawyer and they evaluate your case, they’ll form demands to try to settle your case before taking legal action, depending on what happened. If a settlement can’t be reached, then a legal complaint will be filed, and you’ll be on the path of a personal injury claim.
- Discovery. This part of the case is when both sides gather as much information as possible about what happened so that they can determine exactly what happened, who was at fault, what each side is owed, and if a settlement can be reached. Documents and interviews will be used at this point to get a complete picture of the situation.
- Mediation. This step is an attempt to reach an agreement before going to trial. Both sides will try to negotiate a fair settlement so that both parties get what they deserve without spending the time and money on a trial.
- Settlement. If mediation is effective, then a settlement can be reached. If a fair settlement is reached, then that’s the end of the process. However, if it can’t be reached, then the case will move on to trial.
- Trial. Even though the goal is to settle out of court, a good lawyer will be prepared to take your case to trial if necessary. In a trial, either a jury or the judge will make a decision on the case.
- Appeal. If the decision that is made seems unfair, we can appeal the decision. Our lawyers will work hard to ensure that you get the outcome you deserve and are prepared to fight until the end for you to get justice.
This process can be complicated when you try to go through it alone. An experienced Richmond, KY personal injury lawyer from our firm will guide you through each step so that you get the compensation that you deserve from your claim.
Richmond: The Heart of the Bluegrass State
Richmond, KY, combines the best of both worlds—small town charm and urban happenings. As the sixth largest city in the state, Richmond has a population of over 33,000 people. A city rich with history and culture, it’s also the fastest growing city in Kentucky.
No matter what you’re looking for, you can find it in Richmond, KY. With plenty of historical sites to visit, restaurants with different cuisines to eat, and parks to stroll with friends and family, you’ll enjoy your stay and want to stick around. On top of the urban atmosphere, Richmond is also home to Eastern Kentucky University, so there are plenty of students around to bring more vibrancy and diversity to the city.
At the Law Office of Todd W. Burris, we’re proud to represent the people of Richmond, and hope to get justice for every resident who comes to us for help. Our experienced personal injury lawyers know how to fight for victims and get them the full and fair compensation they deserve for the injuries and damages that they wrongfully suffer from.
The Law Office of Todd W. Burris Will Represent You
You shouldn’t have to suffer from your injury that was caused by someone else’s negligence on your own. At the Law Office of Todd W. Burris, we understand how hard it can be to deal with your injury, the costs you’ve incurred, and supporting your family all at the same time. That’s why we’re here to help you get back on your feet.
Our Richmond, KY personal injury lawyer will fully look into your claim and determine what a fair amount would be for your compensation. That way, you don’t settle for less than you deserve. The legal process might seem too long to endure, but with our lawyers on your side, you can rest assured that the process is worth it. Contact us today to discuss how we can help you with your personal injury claim.