Frankfort Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Going to the doctor is already a nerve-wracking experience for many people. When you decide to go to the doctor, you’re not only worried about your health, but you’re likely also concerned about how much the bill will be for your care. If a doctor ends up causing you more harm than good and you incur even more medical bills from the damages, then you probably will want to seek compensation.
If you’ve experienced injuries from a doctor who you trusted with your care, then you could be eligible to file a claim, and could use the help of a Frankfort medical malpractice lawyer. At the Law Office of Todd W. Burris, we understand how vulnerable you feel after a doctor causes you more harm than good and increases your recovery time. That’s why we’re here to help you through the claim process and fight for your rights as a patient.
What Qualifies as Medical Malpractice?
When a doctor provides you with care and you’re not satisfied with the outcome, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have a med mal case on your hands. In order to be eligible to file for medical malpractice, there are some factors that need to be proven to show that your doctor acted negligently and caused you harm from their actions.
Here is what your med mal attorney will need to argue in order to prove that you experienced medical malpractice opposed to just unsatisfactory care:
- There was a doctor-patient relationship established.
- The doctor breached the standard of care through negligence.
- That breach directly caused you to be injured.
- That injury resulted in damages that you suffered.
Once your lawyer finds evidence to prove the doctor who treated you was negligent, you’ll be able to recover compensation for the medical error that caused you injury. Some of the ways that an attorney can prove their negligence are by looking into your medical records to figure out what happened and bringing in an expert witness who can testify what the standard of care would have been in a similar situation.
The expert witness will help you lawyer prove that a medical error occurred that injured you. Here are some of the errors from a medical professional’s negligence that could cause further injury than what you came to the doctor for:
- Missed diagnosis
- Unnecessary surgeries or treatments
- Wrong site surgeries
- Medication errors
- Worsening of original condition
- Developing a new condition
- Premature patient discharge
If the medical error you experienced is not listed above, you could still use the help of a Frankfort medical malpractice lawyer. A med mal attorney will be able to examine your situation and determine if you have a case.
What Causes Medical Malpractice?
The medical errors that happen in medical malpractice situations are all caused by one thing—negligence. Since negligence is the common factor, that also means that medical errors can be prevented. In order to prevent medical malpractice, it’s important to look at the causes of it. Here are some of the most common causes of medical errors:
- Communication errors. Between typed charts, written notes, and spoken instructions, there’s plenty of room for miscommunication in the medical field. Unfortunately, if medical professionals don’t double check and ensure they have the correct instructions, their actions can have serious consequences.
- Improper training. Since the medical field always needs workers, new medical professionals could lack the proper training that they need to make the right decisions for someone else’s health.
- Understaffing. Even if staff is properly trained, hospitals are often understaffed. This stretches medical professionals too thin and makes them work long hours of constant care. This can cause burnout and inability to pay proper attention to every patient.
- Exhaustion. On top of improper training and understaffing, staff could also be fatigued from being overworked, long shifts, or not getting enough time off between shifts. Exhaustion can cause workers to lose focus and make mistakes with care.
- Intoxication. Some medical professionals use alcohol and drugs to cope with the stress of their jobs. When they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol when they are on the clock, patients can suffer greatly from their mistakes.
There are plenty of other causes of medical malpractice, but these are the most common. A Frankfort medical malpractice lawyer can help you with a claim if any of these situations led to you being injured by your doctor.
Contact the Law Office of Todd W. Burris
In Kentucky, a Frankfort med mal lawyer can help you hold the negligent doctor or medical professional accountable for their actions that hurt you. You shouldn’t have to go through this alone, which is why the Law Office of Todd W. Burris is here to represent you in your claim.
Our attorneys will fully investigate what happened to you so we can prove that your doctor’s negligence directly led to your injuries and damages. We will fight for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve. Reach out to our office today so we can get started.